I've got a pet peeve about abstracts! Abstracts are not just a feeling or paint thrown on a canvas. Some of you may disagree with me, but I've gotta tell you what I believe.
Are there rules? Of course there are! If you have been reading my blog, you know that I am a believer in the foundations of good painting and abstracts are no exception. I very seldom have painted abstracts, but I do love a good one and own a couple. An abstract or any painting for that matter, to be successful has the same rules for composition as a realistic painting. To lead a viewer into a painting, you still need the same tools.
- Contrast and values
- Color, saturated and unsaturated
- Edges, soft, hard and in between
- Shapes, variety in sizes and shapes
- Detail vs looseness (it's all relative)
- Activity, active vs passive
- Paint application, variety